In today’s technology-driven world, smartphones have emerged as the primary mode of communication. With the entire world revolving around this gadget, it can prove to be a blessing and a curse at the same time. Besides being an information warehouse and a source of entertainment, smartphones have also enabled unrestricted connectivity between people.
While easy communication between people has made the world quite small, it has increased the chances of experiencing the problem of misinterpretation, confusion and anxiety. Rather than expressing their feelings and fears face-to-face, people prefer sending text messages via different apps, such as messenger, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc., and at the same time expect instant responses. This anticipation of instant responses has increased anxiety levels in people, culminating in texting anxiety.
Though the above-mentioned problem might not appear alarming or dangerous, it can certainly freak out some people. Those afflicted with texting anxiety tend to predict and imagine the worst. With the emergence of ideograms and smileys, they also get into the habit of reading between the lines that further increases their vulnerability to anxiety disorders.
Taking a break from social media and the cell phone and following the measures mentioned below can help an individual understand and overcome texting anxiety:
- Counting the number of texts received and sent: By keeping a tab on the total number of messages sent and received, an individual can determine the severity of his or her problem. Over 50 texts a day certainly indicates excessive dependence on messaging apps and social networking sites (SNSs).
- Identifying the people to whom messages are being sent: In case a person is sending and receiving messages from close family members and friends, he or she can ensure a balance of virtual and real-life communication. Calling up the person and talking to him or her for a few minutes will enable one to communicate with their loved ones and strengthen their bond. Moreover, it will also reduce the need to text.
- Marking the time and state of texting: Past studies have shown that there is a marked rise in the number of messages sent and received at night and when one is drunk. By overindulging in such harmful practices, one can experience disruptions in his or her sleep and other biological systems. It can turn the daily routine of a person topsy-turvy and further trigger severe levels of anxiety. Besides, drunk texting may lead to consequences that one may not find comforting once sober.
- Figuring out the implication of continuous texting: If one feels too overwhelmed by the entire system of texting in the age of social networking, he or she should not feel embarrassed to get back to the traditional mode of communication. Rather than texting to a close friend, one can directly call him or her. This will reinforce trust in the relationship, making it last longer.
- Determining the repercussions on mental and physical health: People need to closely observe their daily routine, sleep patterns, energy levels, etc. to determine the warning signs of texting anxiety. By monitoring the above factors, one can determine the risks and take effective remedial measures. He or she should try to replenish his or her energy by spending quality time with loved ones and engaging in creative real-life activities.
Dealing with anxiety disorders
Rather than being continuously hooked to electronic equipment and SNSs, one should engage enough in real-time conversations. By spending quality time with close and loved ones, he or she would witness lower levels of exaggerated fears, thoughts and anxieties. Moreover, people should learn to treat SNSs as tools for easy and effective communication, rather than converting them into “tools of compulsion”.
If you or a loved one is suffering from any form of anxiety, contact the Anxiety Disorder Helpline to know more about the anxiety disorder treatment centers. Call our 24/7 helpline number 866-971-7951 or chat online to gain access to state-of-the-art anxiety disorder treatment clinics spread across the United States.